On 10 June 2015 at 15:12, Thomas Goirand <z...@debian.org> wrote:
> On 06/10/2015 12:25 PM, Dave Walker wrote:
>> The initial core reviewers was seeded by representatives of distro's and
>> vendors to get their input on viability in distro's.
>
> Really? James, were you made core on the requirements?
>
> I once tried to follow the requirements repo, though it moves too fast,
> and sometimes, it takes less than 2 days to get a new thing approved.
> Also, this repository has more than just dependencies, there's a lot of
> noise due to changes changes in projects.txt. I also don't mind any
> upgrade for whatever oslo or client libs.
>
> I'd love to have an easier way to voice my opinion without having all
> the noise of that repo in my inbox. I'm not sure if there's a solution
> to this problem though.

On the Ubuntu side, I believe Chuck and myself were carrying the flag
(we had +2).  When the openstack/requirements project was created
James was less involved upstream, and two representatives of a distro
ought to have been enough.

An yes, I also found that the flow was too much to keep up with which
is why I tried to automate some of this.  I hoped the burden has
reduced somewhat, as prospective changes now need to do more of the
distro research themselves.

"Is the library already packaged in the distros we target (Ubuntu
latest / Fedora latest)?

By adding something to OpenStack global-requirements.txt we are
basically demanding that Linux Distros package this for the next
release of OpenStack. If they already have, great. If not, we should
be cautious of adding it.:ref:`finding-distro-status`"[0]

But only so much can be done by non-distro focussed upstream consumers...

[0]
https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/master/README.rst#for-new-requirements

--
Kind Regards,