*From:*Duncan Thomas [mailto:duncan.tho...@gmail.com]
*Sent:* Monday, June 29, 2015 2:46 PM
*To:* OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
*Subject:* Re: [openstack-dev] [cinder][oslo] Locks for create from
volume/snapshot

On 29 June 2015 at 15:23, Dulko, Michal <michal.du...@intel.com
<mailto:michal.du...@intel.com>> wrote:

    There’s also some similar situations when we actually don’t lock on
    resources. For example – a cgsnapshot may get deleted while creating
    a consistencygroup from it.

     From my perspective it seems best to have atomic state changes and
    state-based exclusion in API. We would need some kind of
    currently_used_to_create_snapshot/volums/consistencygroups states to
    achieve that. Then we would be also able to return VolumeIsBusy
    exceptions so retrying a request would be on the user side.

I'd agree, except that gives quite a big behaviour change in the
tenant-facing API, which will break clients and scripts. Not sure how to
square that circle... I'd say V3 API except Mike might kill me...