> The way we did it in the past was to push the setup.cfg version=2015.1.2
> bump BEFORE we tag, then once that is merged, tag the previous commit in
> history as 2015.1.1. That way you avoid the lockstep (and ensure no
> intermediary badly-versioned tarball can be produced).
>
> Any reason why that wouldn't work anymore ?

It should've worked but we didn't update the current stable release
procedure which I was following.
We have documented pushing tags in step
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StableBranchRelease#Tag
and pushing version bumps only later, after Close bugs and Upload The Release:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StableBranchRelease#Rinse.2C_Repeat

Let's update this procedure since we still have few Kilo and Juno
point releases to be done.

Cheers,
Alan