On 11/16/2015 09:42 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
On 11/16/2015 09:34 AM, michael mccune wrote:
On 11/13/2015 07:58 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
The #openstack-api IRC channel is quite quiet most days. As such it's
not something that people are regularly checking in on, or often forget
about (I know I've been guilty of that). Plus we don't always have the
right people in a conversation to make a decision.

I'd like to propose we drop the channel entirely and make #openstack-sdk
the home of API working group conversations. That's where all the
openstackclient, openstackclientconfig, and sdk conversations are
happening. It's where the end consumers of any API WG effort are, so are
incredibly good sounding boards for things we are doing. There is
already a large overlap between the two channels, so just pushing
forward on that means more critical mass for conversations around the
whole space of a more usable API for users.

This came up at the last API WG meeting, but those are pretty low quorum
events, so this is a thing we should definitely decide over ML instead.

Please express your feelings here and lets make it happen. :)

i don't necessarily have an outright objection to this, but i would like
explore the future possibilities of this change.

i think there is possibility for the api-wg to grow and take on more
responsibility within the openstack community and i'm curious about the
net effect down the road if that expansion were to occur. are there any
side-effects we should be aware of as we merge the two
channels/communities into one namespace?

i realize there is some overlap of engineering/design that takes place
on these channels, i'm just concerned about the idea of merging the two
and then at some point in the future wanting to separate them. i'm not
proposing these thoughts to quash the idea of joining, i'd just like to
more fully understand the longer term implications of a merge.

anyone with more experience in this community-oriented side of things
have some light to shed?

Typically the only real reason to spin off another channel is that there
are now too many conversations happening all at once that are unrelated
and people are finding it is impeding their ability to get work done. I
can't imagine this happening any time within the next couple of years.
An average day in #openstack-api is < 20 messages (from a quick spot
check in IRC logs).

I feel there is a lot of benefits in having these groups that do related
work all doing it in one channel. Even though it's a number of discreet
outputs, the "hallway track" of having api producers and consumers doing
their business all in front of each other should quite help in ensuring
that we all make something better.

thanks for the clarifications Sean, i appreciate the extra resolution and i agree that having both these groups able to comment on similar issues in a common place seems ideal.

regards,
mike