Basic Python development does not really differ too much on Windows compared to
Linux.

Let’s start with the Python environment. I’d recommend to install a 2.7 (x86)
one and a 3.4 (x64) one:

https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.10/python-2.7.10.msi
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.4.3/python-3.4.3.amd64.msi

Download also git for Windows: https://git-scm.com/download/win
Git works in the same way, so nothing particular to add. Just take care of the
line endings. I usually keep them all in LF, avoiding CRLF, others let git do
the conversion.

When done, open a PowerShell or command prompt and set your PATH and PYTHONPATH
e.g.:

$ENV:PATH += ";C:\Python27;C:\Python27\Scripts"
$ENV:PYTHONPATH = "."

From here is pretty standard Python, e.g.:

    pip install “blah>=1.0.0"
    pip install –r requirements.txt

    python yourmodule.py

For running tests you can use for example nose since tox / testr don’t really
work:

    pip install mock
    pip install nose
    nosetests .

Note: you can also use virtualenvs, exactly like on Linux.

You might incur in occasional native modules that require a C development
environment. That’s usually more complicated as it requires also dependencies
and needs C/C++ skills and either Mingw / mingw64 or Visual Studio 2008 (Python
2.7) or 2010 (Python 3.4).
For those few modules there are typically binary wheels available, either on
Pypi or provided by 3rd parties. If not, just ask, we compile them from source
and have wheels in the CI.

What you can optionally do, to get a Python environment pre-loaded with all the
OpenStack dependencies is to install the OpenStack Hyper-V Compute MSI (see
http://cloudbase.it) and use the Python env that comes with it.

If you need a basic working OpenStack, just get a standard Devstack running in
a Linux host or VM plus the above MSI for Hyper-V configured to point to the
DevStack node. There’s plenty of examples on our blog for similar cases
(http://cloudbase.it/blog).

It terms of editors it’s a matter of personal taste, but you can find e.g.
Sublime, Visual Studio Code, Notepad++ or Atom as very good and lightweight
options.

Let me know if this works for you and if you have any other questions.

Alessandro