On Tue, 8 Mar 2016, Stéphane Bisinger wrote:

Is there an estimate of how much work/time it would take to refactor the
library to slowly satisfy those three points?

No, that is the biggest reason I'm calling it unmaintained. Neither
Lucas nor I have the time nor interest in being the people who fix WSME
so no estimating has been done.

Also, do we already have clear ideas on where we want to get? While the
three points are clear from a general point of view, what does each of
those points really mean? Which parts have you identified as "not easy to
understand", what architecture you have in mind when speaking about "modern
Python-based web applications"? IIRC you suggested Pecan as a reference.

I may have mentioned Pecan as a useful way to transition away from
WSME because many people who are using WSME are actually using
WSME+Pecan and its not that hard to extract the WSME parts and
replace the input and output handling with voluptuous or something
like that.

However I don't like Pecan myself because it models URL routing using
object-dispatch which I think is very bad for URL design. When we've
talked about this before Flask and Falcon were mooted. Flask
generally gets the nod because of its community but it requires a
commitment to doing things the "Flask way".

IMHO, if we are trying to fix it, the first step should be to have a clear
plan as to encourage volunteer contributions, even thou there are not many
of those.

That is pretty much the main question: Does OpenStack want to fix
it?

That's my 2 cents!

Thank you!

(*) I remember that a change I did to correct an HTTP status code returned
from WSME had an impact in the OpenStack projects using it. So before
releasing a version with the correct status codes we have to remember to
tell others to check their code to ensure it works with the correct status
codes.

Exactly. Projects that use OpenStack have habituated themselves to
some of the bad behaviors in WSME (I think at one point it was
returning 404 when it should have been 405) and written tests to
validate the bad behavior. Upgrading to a new WSME breaks their
tests.

--
Chris Dent               (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻            http://anticdent.org/