> On 04 May 2016, at 13:21, Mehdi Abaakouk <sil...@sileht.net> wrote:
>

>> That said, I agree with Mehdi that *most* RPC calls throughout OpenStack,
>> not being idempotent, should not use process-then-ack.
>
> That why I think we must not call this RPC. And the new API should be clear
> the expected idempotent of the application callbacks.

No problem. Let’s not call it RPC (btw, I completely agree with that). But it’s
one of the messaging patterns and hence should be under oslo.messaging I guess,
no?

>>> Thoughts from folks (mistral and oslo)?
>
> Also, I was not at the Summit, should I conclude the Tooz+taskflow approach
> (that ensure the idempotent of the application within the library API) have
> not been accepted by mistral folks ?

Speaking about idempotency, IMO it’s not a central question that we should be
discussing here. Mistral users should have a choice: if they manage to make
their actions idempotent it’s excellent, in many cases idempotency is certainly
possible, btw. If no, then they know about potential consequences. And even in
this case there’s usually a number of measures that can be taken to mitigate
those consequences (reruning workflows from certain points after manually
fixing problems, rollback scenarios etc.).

What I’m saying is: let’s not make that crucial decision now about what a
messaging framework should support or not, let’s make it more flexible to
account for variety of different usage scenarios. It’s normal for frameworks to
give more rather than less.

One more thing, at the summit we were discussing the possibility to define
at-most-once/at-least-once individually for Mistral tasks. This is demanded
because there cases where we need to do it, advanced users may choose one or
another depending on a task/action semantics. However, it won’t be possible to
implement w/o changes in the underlying messaging framework.

Renat Akhmerov
@Nokia