Ed Leafe wrote:
On May 25, 2016, at 7:25 AM, Denis Makogon <lildee1...@gmail.com> wrote:

Correct me if i'm wrong, none of the messages above were stating about support
Go-extensions for Python (C extensions were mentioned couple times). Starting
Go v1.5 it is possible to develop extension for Python [1] (lib that helps to
develop extensions [2])

No, you’re not wrong at all.

This is much more in the original spirit for dealing with the inevitable issues
where Python just doesn’t cut it performance-wise. The idea was to do
everything in Python, and where there was a bottleneck, write a C module for
that function and integrate it using ctypes.

So could someone from the Designate team do the following: isolate the part(s)
of the process where Go kicks Python’s butt, create small Go packages to handle
them, and then use gopy to integrate it? I think there would be little or no
controversy with this approach, as it’s much less disruptive to the overall
community.

Yes, this is a variant on the "external dependency" approach that would address most of the community fragmentation concerns by keeping the optimized parts small and Python-driven.

I could see that working for Designate's MiniDNS (and other partial optimizations), but I'm not sure that would work in the Hummingbird case, where all the node is rewritten in Go. If we mandated that approach, that would probably mean a lot of rework there...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)