Turbo,

First, trying to understand why you are trying to create a new driver for
Mitaka. New drivers need to go into the latest release. More information
can be found here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Cinder/how-to-contribute-a-driver

Second, there really isn't any other way with Python, that I know of, other
than making changes and restarting. That is just kind of the way that
Python works.

Third, it sounds to me like you are not getting the image you want to copy
to the volume node where you are running properly. Unless the image you are
copying is on the same backing storage it needs to be mounted on the
control node and then dd'ed, or something similar, into an image you have
created on your backend.

Hope this helps

Jay