On 9/9/2016 2:08 PM, Mooney, Sean K wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Casey [mailto:markca...@pointofrental.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:38 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [poll][kolla] Name of baremetal role/group

On 9/8/2016 2:21 AM, Martin André wrote:
On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Steven Dake (stdake)
<std...@cisco.com> wrote:
Sean,

I’d recommend deploy-hosts (I assume this is the bootstrap renamed?)
+1
I also like deploy-host better than the other proposed names. Can we
update the poll to include this option?
I have some concern that present-day conversation, operator support,
and code reviews often refer to the host that will run kolla-ansible as
the 'kolla host' or the 'deploy host'. So I worry this will be very
ambiguous (i.e.: "your next step is to run deploy-hosts on the
deployment host to deploy the hosts"). I'd lean more towards
terminology like "target-prep", "install-node-deps", or similar.
[Mooney, Sean K] I think the topic here has drifted from what I originally want
To capture in this thread but I still find this interesting.

What I was original asking if we should change was the name of the group
In the multimode inventory
https://github.com/openstack/kolla/blob/99897c5438f59b3fa40ade388e0eafe6a0fbfffb/ansible/inventory/multinode#L30
And the corresponding ansible role name.
https://github.com/openstack/kolla/tree/master/ansible/roles/baremetal

this would no be exposed to the enduser at all and was just a question of
internal naming
of the role/group given that the term baremetal may be confused with ironic or
bifrost.

Bah, I'm sorry. I too was thinking this was the name of the subcommand for kolla-ansible and not just the role and group name. The "kolla-ansible bootstrap-servers" you mentioned in another message in this thread is an excellent choice for what I thought we were talking about. I think the topic drift was mostly a consequence of that misunderstanding.

imho this is really an opportunity to be more consistent with these
terms project-wide or (perhaps more reasonably) just work towards
making other references match the decision here. We tell a lot of
people to start with AIO via vagrant and it (the Vagrantfile - likely
the defacto most-read documentation we have)
[Mooney, Sean K] really I have been using kolla for a while now and I did not
Even know there was a vagrant file. even if I did know it was there it would
Be the last thing I would ever think of reading as documentation the quickstart
Guide and other documentation we have is much more useful. Vagrant certenly
would
Not be my first choice when introducing some new to kolla. you don’t want to
have to
Learn another workflow e.g. vagrats when you are trying to wrap your head
around ansible,jinja and docker.

You make a good point and you're hardly alone, but I think the other group is sizable too. The most common advice I hear is to start with an AIO kolla deploy which indirectly requires either setting up a physical box, manually configuring a VM and installing with an ISO, or just running vagrant up (or maybe a fourth option of running it in an existing cloud).

In general vagrant has probably seen some decline but it's still really popular and its users are accustomed to checking for it. A quick search found official vagrant resources for Kubernetes, Mantl, Elasticsearch, Openshift, and even a Devstack variant to make multinode easier (and in the past, it was also one of very few methods that were officially recommended for running a docker-host VM when not on Linux). Since it creates a working deploy from a stock Linux VM it can almost be read as a user manual, and because it does it both aio and multinode I found it really helpful to see where some of the knobs are in kolla when I started.

[Mooney, Sean K] > refers to these as the
operator host and the nodes, most of the documentation calls them the
deployment host and either the target nodes or deployment targets, and
this change would make the name of the step to install dependencies on
the nodes/target nodes/deployment targets to deploy-host[s] which
sounds more like a reference to creating multiple instances of the
deployment host/operator (I know, that's not even a thing).

Obviously you can't control what Kolla users refer to these components
as when asking for help or etc., but I suspect it may be frustrating
for them to use different official names as they make their particular
progression through stages such as AIO vagrant, AIO baremetal,
multinode in VMs, and multinode baremetal (actually, if you're having
to read all of these sentences more slowly or even twice because I'm
using all of the common terms in all contexts - *that*).  :D

I’d also add a duplicate API of “deploy” and mark deploy as
deprecated and follow the standard deprecation policies.  I’d
recommend making the new OpenStack specific deploy command
deploy-openstack
Agreed.

Martin
I think I'm lost on this part. Does 'deploy'/deploy command here refer
to 'kolla-ansible deploy' or something else entirely? AFAIK that is
still a wholly separate step, unless we were just trying to make it
consistent with the role rename at hand.
[Mooney, Sean K] yes this was a separate topic which Is already tracked by
https://bugs.launchpad.net/kolla/+bug/1616221
Very cool.

Thank you,
Mark