From: Duncan Thomas [duncan.tho...@gmail.com]
Sent: 19 September 2016 21:28
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [cinder]tempest test case for force detach volume

Writing a sensible test for this api is rather tricky, since it is intended to
clean up one very specific error condition, and has few guarantees about the
state it leaves the system in. It is provided as a tool to allow the system
administrator to clean up certain faults and situations without needing to
manually effort the database, however the conditions under which it is safe to
use, and the cleanup actions that are required after calling it, vary between
backends.

The only test I can think of that is  probably safe across all backends is to
call reserve, create_export, reset then delete. (All directly against the
cinder endpoint with no Nova involvement).

There is a substantial danger in the thinking that this call is any sort of
generic fixup - it will happily leave volumes attached behind the scenes, open
to data corruption.

On 18 Sep 2016 05:48, "joehuang"