On 09/27/2016 10:17 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:

I think we should be able to create a domain, but once created we should never
redefine a domain. We can do adding and removing devices dynamically using
libvirt's apis, secure in the knowledge that libvirt will persist this for us.
When we upgrade the host, libvirt can ensure we don't break guests which are on
it. Evacuate should be pretty much the only reason to start again.

Sounds interesting.  How would you handle live migration?

Currently we regenerate the XML file on the destination from the nova DB. I guess in your proposal we'd need some way of copying the XML file from the source to the dest, and then modifying the appropriate segments to adjust things like CPU/NUMA pinning?

Chris