On 12.10.2016 10:52, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 05:53:24PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> On 10/11/2016 02:09 PM, Markus Zoeller wrote:
>>> * How to create a "*.deb" package out of the source code of
>>> libvirt/qemu? (surprisingly enough, I'm still struggling with this)
>> What version of libvirt / qemu are you trying to build? libvirt 2.3.0
>> was released 6 days ago, and uploaded to Debian unstable 3 days ago. I
>> don't think you need to manage the packaging yourself
> I think what Markus is talking about is to the ability to produce
> packages from arbitrary Git commits to be able to test Nova with certain
> new features from libvirt / QEMU which won't be available until a formal
> release is pushed out.
> Somewhat analogus to the Fedora virt-preview-repository[1]:
>     "The Virtualization Preview Repository is for people who would like
>     to test the very latest virtualization related packages. This
>     repository is intended primarily as an aid to testing / early
>     experimentation. It is not intended for 'production' deployment."
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Preview_Repository
> [...]

Yes, exactly what kashyap said. At the Nova Mitaka midcycle we talked
shortly about that and came to the conclusion that having packages saves
a lot of (overall) time in the gate queue, compared to the usual "make
&& make install" every time. I'm new to the packaging topic and don't
know the common tool-chain for such tasks.

Regards, Markus Zoeller (markus_z)