On 2016/10/18 3:50, Andrew Laski wrote:

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016, at 07:11 AM, Rikimaru Honjo wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question about unit tests of nova.
(I found this question when I fixed a bug about shelve.[1])

"nova.tests.unit.compute.test_shelve.ShelveComputeAPITestCase" has
test cases for "nova.compute.api.API.shelve()/unshelve()".
But "nova.tests.unit.compute.test_compute_api._ComputeAPIUnitTestMixIn"
also has test cases for same methods.

Is their purpose duplicated?
And, can I organize them if their purpose is duplicated?

I just looked at them briefly and they're not exactly duplicates. It
appears that test_shelve.py has more functional tests and
test_compute_api.py is more unit tests. But it would be nice to have
them all in the same place.
Thank you for explaining and suggesting!
I start planning about consolidating tests for shelve.

FYI, I think that we should consolidate them into
"nova.tests.unit.compute.test_compute_api._ComputeAPIUnitTestMixIn".
Because it is inherited to some test classes.

Personally I would prefer consolidating them into test_shelve.py because
_ComputeAPIUnitTestMixin is a giant class and it can be hard to discover
where something is tested. I like having the features tested in a
dedicated test file.
Your opinion is more convincing than my opinion.
I'll consolidate them into test_shelve.py.

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1588657

Best regards,
--
Rikimaru Honjo