Major,

I bounced this off my 'distro differences' goto guy, Chris Smart. Here are
his thoughts:

"Run the 14.04 kernel on 16.04 system and re-run the tests to see if it's
kernel related.

If 16.04 userland with 14.04 kernel is as fast as Ubuntu 14.04, then
compare the kernel .config files to see if there were major changes,
like switching out schedulers.

Also, when running the tests on both systems, track cpu usage and number
of threads to see if one has more restrictions than the other.

Check swappiness and also "vmstat 1" to see if you're getting more pages
swapped in and out in 16.04.

I'm assuming that the two virtual machines are identical (CPU type, memory,
threads, virtio, etc)."

--
MC