On 10/28/2016 04:02 AM, Major Hayden wrote:
> On the topic of threads, the sysbench output from both Trusty and Xenial are
> nearly identical with the exception of threads.  Trusty is usually about
> 15-20% faster on that benchmark than Xenial.

I spoke with a few other people and it seems like the culprit could be a CPU
scheduler difference and/or a glibc change.  After messing around with perf for
a long time, I found that context switches and CPU migrations were slightly
higher on Xenial than Trusty, but by a negligible amount (< 10% at worst).

I tossed up a horribly written hack[0] to change some CPU scheduler settings
back to the Trusty settings.  My initial tests were great!  Also, the first
test in OpenStack CI was really good --  62 minutes for trusty and 65 minutes
for xenial.  However, that seems to be a fluke since the second test had a 30
minute gap between the test durations. :(

Those scheduler changes for busy_factor, min_interval, and max_interval appear
to have been made in the upstream Linux kernel, and they're present on various
distributions like Ubuntu, CentOS, and Fedora.

At this point, I'm still trying to test some additional theories. Does anyone
have any other ideas?

[0] https://review.openstack.org/392316

--
Major Hayden