On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 12:15:34 -0500, William M Edmonds wrote:
Why would someone need to change the defaults via REST API calls? I
agree that we should plan for that now if we think that will eventually
be needed, but I'm not seeing why it would be needed.

The REST API already allows people to change quota defaults. There are also quota defaults config options. When a quota default is changed via the REST API, an entry for the default is made in the DB and is used from then on and the config option is never used again. If a quota default has never been changed via the REST API, it can be changed via the config option. Defaults are looked for in order 1) DB 2) config option.

This is confusing and we've been discussing getting rid of one of the methods for changing quota defaults. We're thinking to keep the REST API and ditch the config options, because the REST API (and thus DB) provides a central place for the defaults. It takes one call to the REST API to affect a quota default change everywhere. With the config options, if you wanted to change a default, you'd have to change the configs on all of your API hosts any time you did it, and synchronize that.

-melanie