On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 7:24 AM, Thierry Carrez <thie...@openstack.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to submit my candidacy to return as PTL of the Release
> Management team for the Pike cycle.
>
> You may remember me as the release manager from Bexar to Grizzly, and
> PTL of the Release Management team from Havana to Liberty. I'd like to
> thank Doug Hellmann for his service as PTL from Mitaka to Ocata. Under
> his leadership, the Release Management team transformed from an artisan
> shop into a highly efficient and scalable factory. His focus on writing
> down everything and introducing automation everywhere will make the work
> of succeeding him easier than ever. But we always wanted to introduce
> regular PTL rotation in the team, so Doug won't run again, and for Pike
> I volunteer to take back that baton.
>
> I would personally prefer to let someone else take it (and would love to
> see other election candidates for this role !), but during this cycle we
> probably failed to grow new members who would want to take over team
> leadership. People with interest in cross-project functions like Release
> Management and time to dedicate to it are a rare resource those days.

Thanks for volunteering, Thierry! (and Doug for your outstanding work
in the last cycles).

Maybe could you (and Doug) document (if not done already, sorry if
that's the case) your tasks on Release management, and the "things to
know" about this topic, on https://releases.openstack.org.
Also we could eventually organize a training session during a PTG (or
virtual?), to get attraction from folks volunteering to help and
eventually become good enough to apply PTL one day.
Just some ideas here, feel free to comment.

> If elected, my plan is to:
>
> - continue in the direction set by Doug toward more self-service
> automation around Release Management, and focus the team on providing a
> framework, advice and last-minute sanity checks before tagging releases.
>
> - anticipate changes that we may need to do to accommodate the
> introduction of new programming languages.
>
> - add a few new members in the team, to grow the set of people able to
> participate in a PTL rotation scheme in the future.
>
> Thanks for reading until the last line!
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Emilien Macchi