On 12/14/2014 06:39 AM, George Shuklin wrote:
> Btw: we talking about debian packages or ubuntu?

Debian, not Ubuntu.

> They are differ -
> debian heavily relies on answers to debconfig

You mean debconf. And no, it doesn't "rely on", it's completely
optional, and the packages *must* be able to be installed in a
non-interactive way (as per the Debian policy).

> and ubuntu just put files
> in proper places without changing configs.

Ahem... Ubuntu simply doesn't care much about config files. See what
they ship for Nova and Cinder. I wouldn't say "without changing configs"
in this case.

> We using chef for
> configuration, so ubuntu approach is better

It's not better or worse, it's exactly the same as for Debian, as the
Debian package will *never* change something you modified in a config
file, as per Debian policy (if they do, then it's a bug you shall report
to the tracker).

> (when we starts doing
> openstack that was on of deciding factors between debian and ubuntu).

Then you decided on the wrong grounds.

On 12/14/2014 09:03 AM, George Shuklin wrote:
> Well, 'preseed' is just more work

But it's completely optional. And also, the openstack-meta-packages
source package provides all the facility for you (see the
"openstack-deploy" package which contains the preseed lib).

> noninteractive dpkg - is much better.

Then use:
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install <something>

and the Debian packages are all non-interactive as well.

> Anyway, I'm ready to help but have no idea how (within my limits).

Do you have any experience building 3rd party CIs on OpenStack infra?

Thomas Goirand (zigo)