On Jan 4, 2011, at 10:37 AM, <ksan...@doubleclix.net> wrote:

> Good point - this was my concern on "REST API for developers" in the other
> thread. Relative stability, versioning, published API and programming models
> that need to be supported and deprecated systemically and so forth. Plus
> evolutionay concerns like extensibility, feature velocity, ...
>
> Before we even think of devAPi vs internal API, we need to be crisp and clear
> on "For Whom the APIs toll" ...
>
> a)    Developers who develop service components <- Need access to all
> internals and will use python

A huge part of the testing i do as a developer is interacting with the running
system via the cli.  I currently use the eucatools for this, but this is
useless for new features that don't fit into the ec2 api cleanly.  Having
developer cli tools to access the the internal api directly is very useful.

> b)    Cloud Platform developers who develop granular services based on the
> service components <- Are these the clients we are talking about ? Do they
> need a concise programming model and REST API ? If so, what would these
> actors do ?

This one is a little bit muddier in my mind.  I could see them using either the
internal api or the official versioned api.  I think for plugin components that
are intended to ultimately be a part of nova, it makes sense to use the
internal api.  If the component is completely separate it should probably
interact with the official versioned openstack api.