On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 10:02:46AM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Brian Waldon wrote:
> > On Jul 3, 2012, at 5:21 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> >> At the g summit, we'd tell everyone where the next summit is:
> >> At the g summit, we'd vote and announce the name of h
> >> We wouldn't have to spend half the cycle saying "h, or whatever" when we
> >> mean "we're going to defer that crazy idea until next time"
> >> I wouldn't have had to use the letter g by itself twice just above here.
> >
> > Fantastic idea.
> >
> > I haven't been involved in choosing the next location, so I'm not sure how
> > hard it would be to choose it that far in advance. Maybe somebody can
> > comment on how doable this is?
>
> It's definitely doable (and desirable). Actually that's the plan for the
> next one: close the date and location deal before the summit so that we
> can announce the next one during the summit itself.
>
> So we would definitely vote in person (like we did for Cactus at the
> Bexar summit), so much funnier than a Launchpad poll.

I'd be against doing a vote in person at the summit on the basis that
this would exclude a large portion of the community who are unable to
attend :-( A online poll is fully inclusive of the OpenStack community.

I think the same point applies more broadly to any important decisions
related to the project, for which the community is ultimately responsible.
Meeting people face-to-face for technical presentations / discussions
/ debates is a productive way of examining difficult issues, but those
who are unfortunate enough to not attend summits can feel very isolated.
This leads to people feeling there is a 2-tier community. To counter this,
IMHO, it is important to communicate important decisions resulting from
f-2-f meetings to the community & provide a means for them to add any
relevant feedback & influence decisions.

Regards,
Daniel