On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 03:25:01PM -0700, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> We are in the unfortunate position of not knowing how good our OpenStack
> API XML support is. All of our integration tests use json. Many of the
> compute extensions don't even have XML deserializers. We also assume that
> there bugs we don't even know about due to underuse. We need to do something
> about XML by Folsom, because releasing a buggy api isn't good for anyone.

I don't know this area of Nova code at all, but I must say I'm
surprised that it actually needs explicit extra work to accept
or output XML, instead of JSON. It should be possible to auto
generate an XML document from a JSON document, and vica-verca.
At which point you'd not need to have 2 sets of tests for JSON
vs XML, all you need test is the XML<->JSON conversions.

I can imagine this isn't done because of a need to maintain
compat with some special XML schema that isn't a direct 1-1
mapping from the JSON schema ? Are there other complications
preventing this  being done

> 1) We get a lot of community support and we manage to get XML into usable
> shape by Folsom.
>
> 2) We get enough community support to get the core api working and the most
> important extensions in place. We release clear documentation on what is
> expected to work.
>
> 3) We get no support, in which case we mark XML support deprecated and
> encourage people to use JSON only.

4) Deprecate the current XML schemas, and declare new XML schemas
   which are a 1-1 mapping from the JSON

> Note that other openstack projects only support json, and there are
> already java bindings that use json so option 3) isn't terrible, but
> we don't want to go that route without discussing it with the community
> first. If anyone has alternative solutions or suggestions, feel free to
> let me know.

If we can get to a position where we auto-generate XML from JSON for Nova,
we could do the same for other projects too

Regards,
Daniel