From: openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace....@lists.launchpad.net
[openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace....@lists.launchpad.net] on behalf of
Angus Salkeld [asalk...@redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:00 AM
To: openstack@lists.launchpad.net
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Ceilometer, StackTach, Tach / Scrutinize, CloudWatch
integration ... Summit followup

On 24/10/12 23:35 +0000, Sandy Walsh wrote:
>Hey y'all,
>
>Great to chat during the summit last week, but it's been a crazy few days of
>catch-up since then.
>
>The main takeaway for me was the urgent need to get some common libraries
>under these efforts.

Yip.

>So, to that end ...
>
>1. To those that asked, I'm going to get my slides / video presentation made
>available via the list. Stay tuned.
>
>2. I'm having a hard time following all the links to various efforts going on
>(seems every time I turn around there's a new metric/instrumentation effort,
>which is good I guess :)

Here is some fun I have been having with a bit of tach+ceilometer code.
https://github.com/asalkeld/statgen

>Is there a single location I can place my feedback? If not, should we create
>one? I've got lots of suggestions/ideas and would hate to have to duplicate
>the threads or leave other groups out.

I'll add some links here that I am aware of:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1071061
https://etherpad.openstack.org/grizzly-common-instrumentation
https://etherpad.openstack.org/grizzly-ceilometer-actions
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-instrumentation-metrics-monitoring

>3. I'm wrapping up the packaging / cleanup of StackTach v2 with Stacky and
>hope to make a more formal announcement on this by the end of the week. Lots
>of great changes to make it easier to use/deploy based on the Summit feedback!
>
>Unifying the stacktach worker (consumer of events) into ceilometer should be a
>first step to integration (or agree upon a common YAGI-based consumer?)
>
>4. If you're looking at Tach, you should also consider looking at Scrutinize
>(my replacement effort) https://github.com/SandyWalsh/scrutinize (needs
>packaging/docs and some notifier tweaks on the cprofiler to be called "done
>for now")

Looks great! I like the monkey patching for performance as you have
done here, but we also need a nice clean way of manually inserting
instrumentation
too (that is what I have been experimenting with in statgen).

Can we chat in #openstack-metering so we are a bit more aware what we are all
up to?

-Angus