Hi Alex,

> However, because we have people who have Leap 42.1 and current Tumbleweed
> installed, we can’t just switch from 64k to 4k PAGE_SIZE, because our friend
> btrfs embeds the page size into its on-disk format and can only read it when
> they’re identical. So switching would break existing btrfs installations.

It is not only btrfs, but also swap. But the latter problem can be
solved easier. In addition, switching to 4k also enables 48bit VA,
which opens another can of worms.

> There hasn’t been any well working solution to make btrfs more compatible, we
> don’t really want 42.2 to diverge from its origins and 4k gets us running on
> smaller systems which are starting to pop up more and more in the 64bit
> world. Given all that, is anyone seriously opposed to switching everything to
> 4k?

Are we talking about 42.2 or tumbleweed ?  I'm sort of okay with doing
that for 42.2 when we document it properly and mayb ealso fix the swap
issue. Because I seriously hope not that many people are using btrfs.

For tumbleweed, I would only want to switch when we have sorted out
the remaining issues. And only because I am going to be hit by this
badly.

Greetings,
Dirk