Greetings,

Report on Saturday 10 September, 2016.
=============================

This was an open air event with 326 associations and 4000+ visitors
over a few acres.

We mostly spent time answering questions on our activities to general
members of the public. There was no need to switch the laptops on as
it was too bright on one hand and on the other hand, the future
adherent might be distracted, even worse impressed and run away!

We did not count the number of visitors but we were well situated and
you *had* to pass in front of our stand before making your way
anywhere else.

We have been doing that for a few years now and, it’s more marketing,
a presence than anything else. We finished our stock of pins early in
the morning and handed a lot of self-made propaganda/literature in
French.

The Joke of the day: Do you know what people think that we do? Weather
reports because they saw the word : Cloud :D

In the evening, all four, Marihla, Laurence, Olivier and myself of us
went for a beer in an American Grill and the fun went on :D OK, it was
a great day, we had a ball !!!

Report on Saturday 17 September, 2016.
=============================

One week after association’s day, we hosted our usual monthly SFD. It
was quite interesting because a week earlier, we made new “friends”
but at 14:30 we were us and us. After a while, a young lady and two
lads came in, no idea what we were up to and they seem a bit more
curious at our cell phones and other gear lying on the tables. Easiest
thing to do is to be diplomatic, hence separate them. It paid for
because there were more eyes from us to watch them independently.
After about half an hour, they went away and nothing went missing. In
the meantime; my usual admirers arrived:

-       Greek lady, for digging out “missing” files and convert in opensource.

-       My Enterprise Admin broke his laptop and brought in a brand
new one and was eager to get going with SUSE. I explained the good
things around Leap 42.1 and Tumbleweed.  We went for Leap 42.1. This
was the new BIOS and installation was not easy. In the end, I took his
laptop home and I had all my tools to get going and this was fun too.
I drove to his place to take bis baby back on the Sunday afternoon.

-       A lady came for her usual guidance but this time brought her
companion. She wanted VLC to work on Leap 42.1, else any other
multimedia program that could read various codecs. There was a Ubuntu
fanatic around and he pointed out that he does an : apt-get install
vlc and since he has accepted unitarily  third party non foss drivers,
vlc works immediately. She was not worried at all and would happily
wait for Leap 42.2. Anyway, her companion got lost with all that was
going on and instead read his emails….

-       Didier brought a few friends for a discovery tour on Linux.

-       We had two ladies, one with a broken computer (at home)
thinking that we could use a crystal ball to repair remotely her
computer and hanged to the Ubuntu guy for advice. Later I learnt that
she was a person from a union and thought that she could manipulate
anybody. The other lady needed an email client and some tweaks on
Windows 10. She was already using FF, so we went for Thunderbird. We
had to teach her how to use Thunderbird. The reason for being here was
to better her IT knowledge before plunging at the deep end with
openSUSE…. She attended the various workshops: installation of Leap
42.1, adding Gnome on a box, my fight with the BIOS of the laptop,
partitioning a disk, building a VM, even chatted with the “case”
below.

-       The best is yet to come. A guy came in, with issues on using
Facebook. Not our cup of tea. In fact he needed to change his pic.
Wait, he was on more than a dozen Social Network Sites and thought we
would do that for him. I explained that he needed to do the RT*M and
do it himself. So for four hours or so, he went from site to site and
do his update…

-       The Ubuntu guy: I forgive him; he was trying to be helpful and
not canvassing people / lure people to Ubuntu. I did have a word with
him in the back office and he promised to talk about Linux not Ubuntu.
So he has not been tagged as “persona non grata”. He has something
like 15 years on * Linux. I gave him an ISO of Leap 42.1 to test.

-       A mum came with a lad of 18 years old or so. She explained to
me that he was shy. She left him in our custody and after 15 minutes
or so, the guy disappeared altogether.

We had many encounters with people passing by and we did not have the
big crowd again this year because it was *again* the National Heritage
week end, so people were visiting castles, dungeons, palaces, museums,
monuments etc.

Anyway, I am on a business trip on 15th October, and the guys will
handle without me. I will manage the works on 19th November. We will
need to load our boxes with Leap 42.2 beforehand.

Cheers,

Jimmy