Fredag 23 marts 2007 19:56 kvad jdd:
> John Andersen wrote:
> > On Friday 23 March 2007, Michael Schroeder wrote:

> >> Check out the entry for /root in /etc/permissions. (It's not YOU
> >> that resets the permissions, but SuSEconfig). I think you can
> >> overwrite this entry with a custom entry in the
> >> /etc/permissions.local file.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>   Michael
> >
> > I'm amazed at Michael's ability to hand out this information
> > (apparently with a straight face) to a user who didn't know how
> > to do this (suggestive of someone fairly new to linux), without
> > even once pointing out what a dumb idea this is.
>
> please, don't be so harsh, given you don't add either any info :-(
>
> May I say (in my poor english) that:
>
> * the /root permissions are setup by Yast for very good reason
> (security... too many to be discussed shortly)
> * it's possible to make the modification said in the permissions
> file * this must not be done without extreme caution.
>
> May I also say that the OP didn't post the very reason he have to
> try to do so. For whatever reason he have decided to modify root
> permissions. Can he give us this very reason (if it's possible to
> discuss it in a public list), there are _certainly_ more adequate
> solutions, without the security drawbacks.

It can be discussed, if people are interested.

This is a desktop computer.
I have my ordinary user account for my daily work.
My printer's ink level program is unable to display ink level as well
as print when either one of the four cartridges are empty. The
cartridges are opaque and the printer itself only lights up one
single light to signal that one of the cartridges are empty.
So I have written a small service script to check the ink level every
60 seconds, and log that to a file in /root/. /root is where I keep
all my system setting notes and system scripts, and I considder the
ink level log a system wide "thing".
I wish for alle users to be able to see the ink level log. Thus the
changed permissions of /root. There is nothing "secret" in /root that
I am aware of.
I also wish to keep the number of directories to back up to a
minimum -- /root and /home.
Thus I have opted _not_ to put the ink level log in a directory
outside /root or /home.

The discussion is hereby open.

Best regards :o)

Johnny :o)