* Doug McGarrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [01-14-08 00:10]:
> On Sunday 13 January 2008 21:37, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > btw, did you bother looking for instructions *specific* to openSUSE?
> > see:
>
> I will look at the URL you suggested, but note that I'm not using openSUSE,
> but an earlier version that seems to work.

There were several url's.  So look for information pertaining to the
version  of SuSE that you *are* using.....

> > seems like there is a lot of information available.  Google *is* your
> > best friend!
> >
> > --
> > Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
> > http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
> > Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://counter.li.org

seems you would have removed the sig ???

> The instructions I downloaded came from Brother, and are specific to SuSE,
> ver. 9.0 or later --I have 9.3-- and include other Linux versions, but I
> obviously used the SuSE instructions. These do NOT include YAST, altho
> YAST shows what is installed, etc.  I don't know if YAST should highlight any
> problems, but it did not do so.

did you try removing the printer installed as you indicated you wanted.

> The instructions expect a CUPS system, which I believe I have.

you don't know?   from cl:  rpm -qa cups

> The installation is run from the console.  After that, you need to use
> the browser (Firefox, in my case) and go to http:// localhost:631 and
> follow some other simple instructions, which I believe I did.

That is the interface to the cups server.  There is provisions there
to remove/install/configure printers.  Do the removal there

> Unfortunately, the troubleshooter at Brother says the server cannot be
> reached, so I can't look for their assistance.  Maybe on Monday they will fix
> the server?

Brother's server?

> If anyone out there has successfully managed to get 2.0.1-1 working with a
> 2040 printer, I would like to know how you did it.  Meanwhile, of course, I
> will keep trying the troubleshooter server, to see if they fixed it.

You are not interested enough to google for a solution?  There are
many people professing successful installation and use of Brother
printers in linux.

btw, their servers are up.

google *is* your best friend.
- --