From: Rickard Öberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 14:24:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [OS-webwork] Reflection

Erik Beeson wrote:
> Rickard, as I understood, XWork was to break away from J2EE, hence
> removing "web" from the name. If new versions with strong web ties are
> going to remain, shouldn't they remain under the original WebWork name?

That is something I wanted to gauge by my last couple of emails. I
personally do not believe (at this point) that making the web part
"optional" is going to work very well. I certainly don't believe that it
is going to be feasible, or even a good idea, to make a framework that
allows code to be written for both Swing and the web. They're different
beasts with different requirements, with completely different thinking
behind how code gets written. We have a lot of Swing code in our
project, and when I look at it I simply don't see how something like
XWork would fit in, or why it would be useful.

What *is* useful is to allow actions to be called without a servlet
environment, but more or less *only* for testing/debugging purposes.
Executing actions as a response to asynchronous messages could work too.
But that's about it. I do not believe that actions (except for maybe 1%
of special cases) can be reused in so different spaces. I remain open to
the *possibility* of it, but so far I just haven't seen it.

So, given all of this, my resignation from XWork still holds. The
requirements that have been voiced the last few days are not mine, and I
don't think they're compatible with my goals, at least not without
serious compromises that will only hurt the end result. The question
then becomes: would it be useful to do *both* XWork and WebWork, but as
separate projects with these different goals?

/Rickard

--
Rickard Öberg
[EMAIL PROTECTED]