> Converting .. to [1] is easy enough, but what about "/"? Our converter would
> need to be smart about foo/bar vs 10/5... or would we just not care about
> mathematic operations?

When did mathematic operations come into the picture? The current EL
doesn't support mathematic operations, does it?

If this is really all there is to it, the following does the conversion in
<1.5ms

pattern.matcher(s).replaceAll("[1]").replace('/', '.');

Where pattern is:
java.util.regex.Pattern pattern = Pattern.compile("\\.\\.");

Am I missing something?

--Erik