Without using tags? Why not use the tags? This would seem to be much more
straightforward...

Here's how the TagUtils does it...

OgnlValueStack stack = (OgnlValueStack) req.getAttribute("webwork.valueStack");

But it also handles the case where there's no ValueStack (i.e. you hit the page
without executing the Action)...

Jason