I just tried installing OpenVAS.

It didn't work.

Here's a few things that were issues:

1. you are not keeping interfaces compatible
AND you are implying you are keeping interfaces compatible.
OpenVAS client 1.0.3 is not compatible with 1.0.4, as far
as I can tell.

So if you use the debian packages for part of it, you're screwed.
You have to use a fully synchronized set.

The original theory of revision numbers said "if it's three
tuples, the third one is minor changes".  So 1.0.3 -> 1.0.4 being
incompatible is not to be expected.

2. You seem to be renaming the client.  Is it OpenVAS-Client?
Is it openvas-client?  What is it called now, for what revision
of now?

3. when it fails the client just blurts out some dialog boxes
and fails.  No logging, no messages you can troubleshoot,
no debug mode, no verbose mode.  So if you fail login, you're screwed.
Oh did I mention all the .deb libraries are incompatible even though
there only one minor revision downrev?  So that's painful.

4. creating users doesn't quite work.  with the packages (that don't
work) you can create users with passwords.  with the source
currently you create users and it insists on halfway trying to create
certs, which then don't work (and you can't troubleshoot it because
there's too little help from the client - see #3.

Who said I wanted a graphical client, anyway?  What's wrong with a
command line client?  At least then I could get angry in my own
dev environment and insert printfs to figure out what the blazes you
people are doing ;-)

So.  It doesn't have packages, and it doesn't work, and it's
hard to troubleshoot.

Does this stuff work for someone, in some configuration?
Are there debian packages, for the whole thing?  How are you
supposed to troubleshoot client login problems?  If there aren't
packages, is there information on building from source (with
for example the list of packages you have to install first on
Debian to get it to configure/compile?

What I was trying:

Debian 4
client 1.0.4