What happens if you use your regular IP address on your client instead of
"localhost" or the loopback (127.0.0.1) ip?

-----Original Message-----
From: openvas-discuss-boun...@wald.intevation.org
[mailto:openvas-discuss-boun...@wald.intevation.org] On Behalf Of Brian Clark
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 11:09 AM
To: Brandon Perry; openvas-discuss@wald.intevation.org
Subject: Re: [Openvas-discuss] OpenVAS Client - Cannot connect to localhost

I have been starting the server using the init script that came with the RPM
packages (from Atomic).

Your suggestion worked--when starting openvassd as you suggested, I was able to
connect just fine.

However, when I stopped the process and started it back up again using the
Atomic init script, I received the same connection error when trying to connect
to either localhost or 127.0.0.1.

I have the Atomic init.d startup script copied in below. Any idea why it is not
starting up openvassd in a way that I can connect to it? Also, I checked the
openvassd.conf file, and saw nothing in it related to the IP, network
interface, or even TCP port that openvassd runs on.

#!/bin/bash

# This is an implementation of a start-script for OpenVAS Scanner.

# Make RedHat happy:
#
# chkconfig: - 91 9

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: openvas-scanner
# Required-Start: $local_fs $network $syslog # Required-Stop: $local_fs
$network $syslog # Default-Start:
# Default-Stop: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
# Short-Description: start|stop|status|restart|condrestart|reloadplugins
OpenVAS Scanner
### END INIT INFO

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

exec="/usr/sbin/openvassd"
prog="openvassd"
progname="openvas-scanner"
config=/etc/openvas/openvassd.conf
lockfile=/var/lock/subsys/openvas-scanner

[ -e /etc/sysconfig/$progname ] && . /etc/sysconfig/$progname

rh_status() {
        # run checks to determine if the service is running or use generic
status
        status -p /var/run/$prog.pid -l $lockfile $progname }

rh_status_q() {
        rh_status >/dev/null 2>&1
}

start() {
        grep -q ca_file /etc/openvas/openvassd.conf >& /dev/null
        if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
                echo "No certificate specified in configuration file. Did you
run openvas-mkcert tool?"
                exit 6
        fi

        CACERT=`grep ca_file /etc/openvas/openvassd.conf | cut -d= -f2`
        if [ \! -z "$CACERT" -a \! -f "$CACERT" ]; then
                echo "Certificate specified in the configuration file not
found. Did you run openvas-mkcert tool?"
                exit 6
        fi

        echo "Starting $progname:"
        daemon --pidfile=/var/run/$prog.pid $prog $OPTIONS
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch $lockfile
        return $RETVAL
}

stop() {
        echo -n "Stopping $progname: "
        killproc $prog
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f $lockfile
        return $RETVAL
}

restart() {
        stop
        start
}

reloadplugins() {
        echo -n "Reloading OpenVAS plugins: "
        killproc $prog -HUP
        echo
}

case "$1" in
        start)
                rh_status_q && exit 0
                $1
                ;;

        stop)
                rh_status_q || exit 0
                $1
                ;;

        restart)
                $1
                ;;

        condrestart|try-restart)
                rh_status_q || exit 0
                $1
                ;;

        reload)
                ;;

        reloadplugins)
                rh_status_q || exit 0
                $1
                ;;

        status)
                status -p /var/run/$prog.pid -l $lockfile $progname
                ;;

        *)
                echo "Usage: $0
{start|stop|status|restart|condrestart|reload|reloadplugins}"
                exit 1
esac

exit 0