While slightly off topic, it may not be his need in and of itself that is
increasing risk.

The problem could very well be, if you open this thing for this user, while
legitimate, now you have other users saying "Well you opened this up for
him! Why not open this up for me?". It is easier for the security team to
simply deny anything that doesn't adhere to a given policy. Not saying that
is the correct way to manage security risk, but it is certainly the easiest.

http://volatile-minds.blogspot.com -- blog
http://www.volatileminds.net -- website