Hi,

while scanning our Ubuntu hosts - most of them have installed a typical
lamp-stack - we recognized a large amount of false-positive results. This is
probably due to the special version number strings of Ubuntu.

Here´s an example:

NVT "PHP Version Detection" detects the following information:

Detected PHP
Version: 5.5.9
Location: tcp/443
CPE: cpe:/a:php:php:5.5.9

Concluded from version identification result:

As a result many other NVTs based on this remote banner are detected, although
the security gaps have already been fixed by the ubuntu maintainers, e.g. the
NVT "PHP Denial of Service And Unspecified Vulnerabilities - 01 - Jul16
(Linux)" / 1.3.6.1.4.1.25623.1.0.808607. The associated CVE was fixed in
package version 5.5.9+dfsg-1ubuntu4.17.

https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-2984-1/
https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-security/cve/2016/CVE-2016-4342.html

Is there any possibility to prevent this false-positive results from OpenVAS?

Many of the problems could already be solved by hiding the version numbers but
there are still some services where this error occurs.

Best Regards
Jan