Hi,

On 20.06.2017 13:37, Jan Schwarzkopf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while scanning our Ubuntu hosts - most of them have installed a typical
> lamp-stack - we recognized a large amount of false-positive results. This is
> probably due to the special version number strings of Ubuntu.
>
> Here´s an example:
>
> NVT "PHP Version Detection" detects the following information:
>
> Detected PHP
> Version: 5.5.9
> Location: tcp/443
> CPE: cpe:/a:php:php:5.5.9
>
> Concluded from version identification result:
>
> As a result many other NVTs based on this remote banner are detected,
> although the security gaps have already been fixed by the ubuntu maintainers,
> e.g. the NVT "PHP Denial of Service And Unspecified Vulnerabilities - 01 -
> Jul16 (Linux)" / 1.3.6.1.4.1.25623.1.0.808607. The associated CVE was fixed
> in package version 5.5.9+dfsg-1ubuntu4.17.
>
> https://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-2984-1/
> https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-security/cve/2016/CVE-2016-4342.html
>
> Is there any possibility to prevent this false-positive results from OpenVAS?

this is already prevented by default through the usage of the QoD
concept described here:

http://docs.greenbone.net/GSM-Manual/gos-3.1/en/glossary.html#quality-of-detection-qod

So if you're getting results / vulnerabilities for PHP like for
1.3.6.1.4.1.25623.1.0.808607 this is because you have set a filter for
the default QoD value below 70% in your Results / Report overview.

> Many of the problems could already be solved by hiding the version numbers
> but there are still some services where this error occurs.
>
> Best Regards
> Jan

Regards,

--

Christian Fischer | PGP Key: 0x54F3CE5B76C597AD
Greenbone Networks GmbH | http://greenbone.net