On 2017-06-21 10:07, Dario Teixeira wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to communicate directly with the OpenVAS scanner (Openvassd).
If I understand things correctly, this is only possible via a UNIX
domain socket (by default /var/run/openvassd.sock).  Unfortunately,
I suspect there's some detail I'm missing, because I've tried sending
to the socket an XML request and the Openvassd logs report an "Unknown
client-requested OTP version" error.  The XML request I sent was as
follows: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><get_version/>

In the meantime I realised that Openvassd is probably expecting a TLS
connection, and it only expects an XML fragment instead of a complete
document.  Therefore, I've opened a TLS connection to the daemon and
sent just "<get_version/>".  This still doesn't work, however.  On the
client side I get a TLS error, and the Openvassd logs still report
a "Unknown client-requested OTP version" error.

Anyway, any suggestions on what might be going wrong are greatly
appreciated, as I'm currently stuck with this issue...

Hi,

You're trying to use the manager protocol, which is used by the openvasmd not openvassd. Communicating with openvassd directly (over OTP) is for internal usage and is not recommended for external clients as it may change at any time.

Best regards,

Hani.