Openvas was scanning fine for several days then suddenly stopped. The greenbone
gui was running fine but wouldn't let me initiate new scans since it said the
service was down. I ran openvas-check-setup and it said everything was ok
except the scanner service was down. So I ran /etc/init.d/openvas-scanner start
and it returned, "openvas-scanner.service failed because a timeout was
exceeded. See 'systemctl  status openvas-scanner.service' and 'journalctl  -xe'
for details."

When I run 'systemctl  status openvas-scanner.service', it says, 'load Failed
to start Open Vulnerability Assessment System Scanner Daemon.'

I tried purging openvas, rebooting, reinstalling, running openvas-setup but it
hangs up and freezes at the end of the process. Are there any other options
besides wiping out Kali and restoring a new Kali image? I really want to avoid
doing that if possible.