Hi Peter,
I am using OpenVAS to conduct VA in the environment of a big corporate
network (up to /21 networks) on a regular basis, and so far I have
never witnessed any incidents on the IT world. I'm using default
OpenVAS profile, altough I have also tried the most impactful profiles.
So on IT side; unless you are using very old & unmaintained assets (in
which case, at least your scans will help identify them) this shouldn't
be a concern.
However, on OT world this is significantly different. I have witnessed
several crashes  / reboot of OT devices, including recent ones. So I
would be much more careful on this part of your environment.