On 01/31/2010 11:13:06 AM, Eric F Crist wrote:
> I do not feel the forums and mailing list need to be synchronized.
> They are two different mediums, and should be treated as such.

I disagree.  (Although this has no impact on any operational decision
because so far as I know there's no good choice of software.
Maybe mailman 3.0 will someday deliver.)

Forms and archived mailing lists are the exact same medium.  They may
happen to have different interfaces for input and output, but the
interfaces are in no way mutually exclusive.  The end result is a
threaded archive viewable on the web in either case.

If you've software that allows input via web page and/or email
and output via web interface and/or email is it a forum or a mailing
list?  It's both.  My point being it's then really silly to have
2 different archives depending on whether the data went in or out via
an email or a web page.

There should be only one place to look for archived answers no
matter how the questions are asked and answers supplied.  To
do otherwise leads to duplication of effort and difficulty in
searching.

Regards,

Karl <k...@meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein