Am 01.04.13 15:26, schrieb Jonathan K. Bullard:
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Gert Doering <g...@greenie.muc.de> wrote:
Hi,

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 10:43:29PM +0200, Arne Schwabe wrote:
Mac OS X 10.7+ natively supports tun devices (called utun). The "standard"
utun.ko driver is sometimes problematic (e.g. VmWare Fusion 5 and tun.ko do not work
together).

When OpenVPN is compiled with utun support it will if no dev-node is given
first try to use utun and if that is not available will try the traditional tun
devices

The "utun" stuff is new to me; all I can find is the source code for
it. Is this one of the "hidden features" of iOS that that OpenVPN for
iOS app uses, and that is also in OS X 10.7 and up?
Basically yes.
Most configuration files I've seen do not include a dev-node option.
Does a "dev tun" option in the file imply, for this purpose, "dev-type
tun"?

If I understand this correctly, a user who updates to 10.7+ will be
using utun instead of tun. That may be problematic (I don't know).

Wouldn't it be better to use the legacy tun if it exists, and if not,
then use the utun? That would be backward-compatible with such
configuration files.

Currently the patch tries to open utun first and if that fails it will try to open tun. If you specify something like dev-node tun17 or dev-node utun23 it will only try to open that specific kind of tun node.

Arne