On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Arne Schwabe <a...@rfc2549.org> wrote:

>> If it is the other way around (use tun if it is available and if not,
>> try utun) then anybody who has loaded tun will continue to work with
>> that tun, and anybody who hasn't loaded tun will get utun if it is
>> available. So nothing breaks.
>>
>> It's hard for a GUI like Tunnelblick that doesn't parse the
>> configuration file to detect the situation (no dev-type option) to add
>> a "dev-type tun" to force the use of tun.
>>
>> But if we know that utun works for OpenVPN, then I don't have any
>> problem with the patch. But that utun "is sometimes problematic" makes
>> me worried that this may not be the case.
>
> The short history behind the patch: I was investing why Tunnelblick was not
> working on a collegues Macbook and as it turned out that you can have tun.ko
> loaded or the VmWare Fusion network driver (at least on his Macbook).
> Otherwise you get errors on loading the module. But I remembered something
> about the utun stuff, found the example code again and come up with the
> patch. The setence from the commit should have been:
>
> The "standard" tun.ko driver is sometimes problematic (e.g. VmWare Fusion 5
> and tun.ko do not work together).
>
> The utun driver not be fully compatbile with behaviour of the standard tun.ko
> driver but all my tests (IPv6, IPv4) worked so far. For 2.3.x I fine with try
> utun first or try tun first behaviour but for -master/2.4 I would like to
> have try utun first so more people actually use utun so we get to know if it
> is really 100% compatible/working.

Thanks; I get it. So it is the "standard" tun driver that is a
problem, and the utun driver fixes that problem. In that case, patch
is OK with me.

By "the 'standard' tun.ko driver", do you mean "tun.kext" from
tuntaposx (http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net), which is what
Tunnelblick uses, or are you talking about something else?