Hi,

This issue was raised by this email thread on openvpn-users:

<https://www.mail-archive.com/openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03119.html>

Basically our new Authenticode (user-mode) certificate can only do SHA2
signatures, which Windows XP and Vista do not support. In practice both
operating systems will complain about an "unknown publisher".

Moreover, our EV dongle that is used to sign tap-windows6 can only do
SHA2 signatures. So, any tap-windows6 driver signed with the dongle will
get rejected by Windows Vista. The approach we took for the previous
tap-windows6 release was to have two signatures (SHA1+SHA2), but now
that option is gone.

I'm told that rekeying the Authenticode (user-mode) certificate as SHA1
is no longer possible, which is in line with Microsoft's recommendations
for CAs:

"Enforcement details"

"Code signing certificates"

"CAs should issue new code signing certs with SHA-1 after 1/1/2016 only
for developers targeting Vista/2008, otherwise, move all new certs to SHA2"

The above quotes are from

<http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32288.windows-enforcement-of-authenticode-code-signing-and-timestamping.aspx>

We have already dropped XP support from OpenVPN Git "master". I think
now is the time to drop official XP support altogether, but to maintain
Vista support util the next tap-windows6 release.

Thoughts?

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager