Il 07/09/2016 15:56, Jan Just Keijser ha scritto:

>>> I agree.  I believe the majority of most users upgraded to Win7 from
>>> Vista, as Vista was a slow giant beast compared to Win7.  Those left
>>> on Vista are probably not the kind of users interested in setting up
>>> VPNs - and if they do, it would probably be one of the more commercial
>>> offerings than configuring your own client.
>>>
>>> Put Vista and XP in the same "support category", which basically means
>>> OpenVPN 2.3 and we'll see how long we are willing to officially
>>> support 2.3.
>> Maintaining Windows Vista support will be tricky without extra effort,
>> as it enforces strict driver signing requirements like Windows 7, but
>> lacks SHA2 support. This is not a showstopper for the user-space
>> components (openvpn, openssl, etc), which just give the "Unknown
>> publisher" warning. However, if we need to fix something in
>> tap-windows6, the new driver will only have a SHA2 signature, and Vista
>> will thus refuse to install and load it to the kernel.
>>
>> Windows XP is easier to support, as it allows loading of unsigned
>> kernel-mode code without putting the operating system to "test mode"; it
>> will just complain about "Unknown publisher".
>>
>> We could try to beg for a SHA1 code-signing certificate from Digicert
>> using their support system. However, I will try to get some download
>> figures for I00x and I60x installers before we go down that route.
>>

> we could consider a quick&dirty method:
>
> XP/Vista -> NDIS5 only
> 7+ -> NDIS 6 only
>
> I can't see why M$ would not allow SHA1 signed NDIS5 drivers anymore...
> It would mean that the OpenVPN 2.3 code base needs to be remain
> compatible with NDIS5 and 6, as it is now.
>
> JJK

We can easily support Windows Vista as long as we don't have to rebuild
the tap-windows6 (NDIS6) driver. If/when we do rebuild, we can just
point Vista users to the I00x (tap-windows) installers as you said.

This plan of course assumes that a security issue does not force us to
rebuild tap-windows (NDIS5) and thus lose the SHA1 signature.

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager

irc freenode net: mattock