On 19/10/16 15:04, Samuli Seppänen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While preparing OpenVPN 2.4-alpha1 release the discussion about
> user-specific OpenVPN configuration files came up again. To give some
> background, OpenVPN-GUI can now delegate privileged operations (e.g.
> route adding) to the OpenVPN Interactive Service. This means that normal
> users are now able to launch OpenVPN connections without having admin
> privileges. On top of that, users can now store OpenVPN configuration
> files in their home directory, under %USERPROFILE%\OpenVPN\config[*].
> The rationale for this directory choice was discussed here:
>
> <https://github.com/OpenVPN/openvpn-gui/pull/18#issuecomment-190138431>
>
> Three directory alternatives have been proposed:
>
> %USERPROFILE%\OpenVPN\config (current approach)
> %APPDATA%\OpenVPN\config
> %USERPROFILE%\.openvpn\config

"When in Rome do as the Romans" ....

which means the .openvpn approach is just plain silly in Windows.
Hidden files and directories start on *nix with a dot/punctuation in the
file/dir name; Windows does not do that as it uses separate attributes
tackling this.

%APPDATA% is what I belive the majority of Windows applications uses today.

The %USERPROFILE% approach I'm a bit more reluctant to.

But this is just my personal opinions, coming from a person who haven't
really used Windows in 15 years++.  But I do think consistency with what
others do is of a bigger value.  Windows users who tinkle with slightly
more advanced stuff knows where to find %APPDATA%.  Windows users who
don't know that should most likely not even enter the OpenVPN config
directory at all.

That's my 2cents to the shed painting funding ...

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth