On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Samuli Seppänen <sam...@openvpn.net>
wrote:

> The "%USERPROFILE%\Appdata" folder seems to be for "files generated by
> applications" as SviMik said:
>
> <https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc962614.aspx>
> <https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749104%28v=ws.10%29.aspx>
>
> Those links refer to Windows XP's equivalent for $HOME\Appdata, but the
> purpose of the directory has not changed afaik.
>
> Things are complicated a bit more by the fact that the %APPDATA%
> environment variable points to %USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Roaming, not
> %USERPROFILE%\Appdata as one might think.
>

> In the first link above, MS says this:
>
> "CSIDL_PROFILE: The user's profile folder. A typical path is C:\Documents
> and Settings\username. Applications should not create files or folders at
> this level; they should put their data under the locations referred to by
> CSIDL_APPDATA or CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA."

CSIDL_APPDATA goes into the roaming profile and is preferred if the config
is user specific and not at all machine-specific. If/when we go this route,
I think CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA would be more appropriate for vpn configs..
Also we keep log files in there which could grow large and adversely affect
roaming performance.

> I think the idea Microsoft thought that users should not (have to) touch
> the Appdata folder, and thus decided to hide it.
>

> I vote for using a directory that is visible by default, at least until
> the GUI can reliably import any config thrown at it.

Yes, we could revisit this and add code for migrating existing files if a
change in location is required.

Selva