On 21/02/17 22:12, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 08:42:57PM +0100, Steffan Karger wrote:
>> ACK to the attached patch.
>
>> >From d97f526a2ddbf2abe60a64260601ebd742fc00cc Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
>> From: "Simon (simix)" <via-trac>
>
> All previous commits (I'm aware of) carry a valid e-mail address, and
> most of them have a full name for the author.
>
> Do we have a policy how to handle patches with missing author info?

I see no reason at all why we should not give proper credit with full
name.  And we want to be able to reach out to people if there are issues
we can't figure out.  And since I'm one who likes consistency, I think
the policy should be the same for both large as well as small patches.

If someone have issues with that they can get in touch with Samuli or me
directly, as we are employed by OpenVPN Technologies.  Then we will sort
out the details and figure out who will get the credit in the end.

And we should see the Signed-off-by (SoB) line as well.  This carries
more importance if there are legal issues later on (intellectual
property issues, copyright infringements, etc).  The SoB line basically
indicates that "Yes, I am allowed to share this contribution for
inclusion".  The OpenVPN project is far to big to be ignorant to these
possible challenges.  And we never knows whom will be a victim for the
next patent troll.

With that said, I am far more relaxed to the SoB when it comes to
documentation and text snippets (unless it is a massive contribution).

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth
OpenVPN Technologies, Inc