Hi,

On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 03:02:20PM +0200, David Sommerseth wrote:
> > Which is not what I hoped for... "turn it off and leave it so" is non
> > helpful (it might be a transient error preventing the startup).
>
> I'm confused.  What is it you want?
>
> * try restarting in an endless loop?
> * try restarting X times and then stop trying?

"exponential decay"

Restart a few times quickly, and then slow down, like "re-try after 1s, 3s,
5s, 10s, 15s, 30s, 60s, ... and then stick to every-5-minutes" or so
(like OpenVPN's own connection re-try logic :-) ).

That way you get quick restart if a temporary failure happens, and avoid
filling logs with useless crap if the error persists - like "bind to an
IP address that is not present in the system, because the ppp0 interface
where it would show up is down", or something like this.

But if that cannot be done, that's how it is - and in that case, "stop
trying" is not what I want.

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de