On 07/09/17 08:16, Gert Doering wrote:

> Restarting is good, but if there is something faulty that leads to
> "the process always dies right away", this can lead to very quickly
> filling disks with not-so-useful logging...
Oh, I overlooked this one.  Just one comment in regards to the "filling
disks".  That naturally depends on how logging is configured on the
system, and that varies a lot.  But my experience based on defaults in
the environments I use:

* systemd journal have some reasonably sane defaults to avoid this to
  happen; IIRC it defaults to rotate the journal when reaching 10-15% of
  available disk space *or* 4GB of log data.

* RHEL (and clones) usually have rsyslog installed too, which the
  journal forwards log data too.  And it most commonly it also have
  logrotate installed too (at least on the server variant) which runs
  on a regular basis.  But it also depends on how big the partition
   where /var/log resides is.

So the risks for such restarts to cause full disks should be fairly
minimal.  And for those who have enabled remote logging, that is often
to pay more attention to log events, so then such scenarios would
probably be detected even quicker.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth