Hi,

> >> As you probably know, right now we produce Windows executables and
> >> installers on Linux using openvpn-build:
> >>
> >> <https://github.com/OpenVPN/openvpn-build>
> >>
> >> It seems that WiX which you mention would probably be our tool of
> >> choice, given it is open source (MS-RL):
> >>
> >> <https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3>
> >> <https://opensource.org/licenses/MS-RL>
> >>
> >> Do you know if WiX runs in Mono? That would allow us to produce
> >> installers directly from openvpn-build without having to have a
> >> separate Windows packaging computer in the build chain.
> >>

> > Any reason why you specifically want to use WiX?  Are msibuild or wixl
> > (from msitools[0]) not good enough?  I know those lack features, but
> > if they're good enough I would prefer using something that is packaged
> > by many distros (and doesn't need mono).
> >

> Ah, excellent find! I'm definitely not opposed to msitools if it fits the
> bill.

msitools, WiX, Microsoft's msidb.exe/msiinfo.exe/msifiler.exe/makecab.exe
utilities, etc. I even invented my own MSI distillery using NMAKE Makefiles,
WSH scripts and Microsoft utilities standard with Visual Studio.

Pick your poison. :)

According to build environment preferences, msitools would be the best choice.

The requirements (I can remember right now) are:

- MSI database compilation
- MSI database population with file versions, sizes, checksums
- CAB compression
- CAB/stream embedding
- Digital signing of MSI files

I shall review the msitools if they'll do and keep you posted.

Best regards,
Simon