There's always the option of not allowing encryption to be enabled
with compression enabled. This keeps things like using OpenVPN as
fancy proxy working without endangering the privacy VPN use-case.

This gives users the on/off switch and explicitly shows them that
encryption + compression is not safe (because they have to disable it
and get ugly cipher none warnings).

The idea about the extra command to allow compression with a warning
in the actual command itself also works well, as long as the logs
throw big ugly warnings.

JM2C,

Derek Zimmer
Chief Executive Officer